Thursday, November 11, 2010

Travel Tip #86 - Storms

“And when it rains on your parade, look up rather than down. Without the rain, there would be no rainbow.” 
- G.K. Chesterton


(I'm obviously not a drawing master. But hey, I tried!)

I don't really understand the people who actually, truly enjoy rainy days. Sure, cloudy days maybe, if you happen to be in England or something and have an umbrella handy. But not rain and especially not storms! I don't think I'd mind if I never had to get caught in the rain again. No more sloshing through puddles in the wrong shoes. No more shaking my fist at the sky in anger. And no more pretending I can control the weather with my mind. (AND no more failing to control the weather with my mind.) It would be glorious. 

However, life happens and sadly, storms come with the package. 

But like Chesterton says, without rain there wouldn't be any rainbows. Storms in life are rough. It's easy to get your feet swept out from under you by high winds you didn't see coming or step in a problem puddle deeper than you expected. Without the storms, though, there'd be less smiles when the sun shines. There wouldn't be a reason to cling so tightly to hope or God's promises. Rainbows would no longer need to exist and we'd miss out on their beauty. 

Besides, standing in the rain won't kill you -it'll only make you wet.  

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I like rainstorms...probably because most of the time here in Czech it rains. :D But I don't like little drizzles or that "frozen-in-the-air" kind of rain...the one that never seems to go away and chills to the bone! I love to check your blog every once in a while! Your writing is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Claire! I'm glad you like my blog and I love getting comments from you : )

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts