Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Random Travel Tip #1 - Single Steps


"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu




Let's face it, the first step is always the hardest. I don't know about you, but every day I find myself in the exact same position. Whether it's having the stamina to wake up in the morning, the self-control to pick the healthy food at meal time, or the drive to keep my priorities straight, I am continually fighting to start moving. But I've come to the realization that once moving, it's easy to continue. 

Once I am finally out of bed for the day, I am good to go. In fact, it's normally difficult to get myself back to sleep when the next night arrives. After I pick out a healthy meal, I eat it, enjoy it, and usually feel satisfied enough to do it again. As for keeping my priorities straight, the more time I spend at the prayer chapel, gym, or library, the more time I want to spend in those places. 

I'm guessing the trip to gain knowledge or health isn't the exact scenario Tzu had in mind when he came up with his wise words. But any journey begins with a single step. With the willingness and determination to lift your feet off the front porch and onto the road, anything is possible. You never know when your own steps will take you a thousand miles. And even if you don't get that far, at least you'll be a step closer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts