Friday, January 22, 2010

10 Movies that Mean Something



Over the past few weeks I have had more time on my hands than normal. This, of course, means that I have had the wonderful, relaxing priviledge of sitting for hours in front of the TV. So, it's only fitting that my next list should be about movies. Here are 10 that I have enjoyed, learned from, and replayed throughout the years:

~ (500) Days of Summer: Okay, so this is a new movie, which I've only seen once, but I loved it. The soundtrack, the skipping around of days, the witty dialogue all make this one I want to buy.

~ Elizabethtown: This may just be my ultimate favorite. I saw it for the first time this summer (I have no clue where I was when it really came out!) and watched it for a second time right after. It's kind of long, but so worth the watch. It has the best road trip scenes I have ever come across and there are tons of quotable parts!

~ Paycheck: My favorite action movie. It's easy enough to understand, invites you to figure things out along with the main character, and is not only about blowing things up, though there is that too.

~ The Dust Factory: This one is not as well known as most on this list. Plus, I've tried watching it with some of my friends and none of them understand my interest. I do admit, it's somewhat strange, but includes intriguing thoughts on Heaven and Hell and will definitely spur discussion.

~ Dan in Real Life: The most real romantic comedy I have ever seen. Steve Carell is hilarious in a much more subtle way than we're used to seeing him.

~ The Village: Utopian societies always peak my interest. Enough said...

~ Pride and Prejudice (the 5 hour BBC version): This had to be on the list. I don't think I could be considered a true reader, let alone a girl, if I didn't love this. I've only seen it once, but give me a bit of credit because I saw it in England. It's great how closely it sticks to the book and of course includes the wonderful wit of Darcy and Elizabeth.

~ Pride and Prejudice -A latter day comedy (the mormon version): Thanks to my roommate who has this on her favorites list, now I do too. The story is familiar but with a twist. It is a low budget film, but is high in quality.

~ That Thing You Do: If you haven't seen this, shame on you! It's classic. The music, the cast, the Oneders, the whole thing is a blast from the past, in the good way.

~ Red Eye: Creepy psychological thriller that's almost all talk and not action. I love how even when confined to two seats on an airplane, the dialogue can still completely scare you. The acting is great and the script reveals just how powerful words can be.

What movies are on your list?

1 comment:

  1. Nice. Let's watch the Dust Factory some time. Have you seen The Fall? that tends to fall under the category of "none of them understand my interest" ..

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts