Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Long-Distance Jesus

At times, my relationship with God feels a lot like a long-distance one. Not in a way that makes me bitter; God is still very much a part of my everyday life. Though I can't see Him, we are close. In fact, in some ways I feel that makes our bond even closer.

But there are days, like this one, when I wish I had Jesus here in the flesh.

Days when I find myself jealous of the disciples and Biblical figures in the Gospels. While they got to hear Jesus' audible voice, I have to read His words on the pages of a book. While they got to look into His loving eyes that see their hearts, I understand the image without the physicality. And maybe most importantly, while they were able to literally hug Him, touch His robe, and feel His nail-pierced hands, I am left here with the knowledge that "feeling" doesn't always happen outwardly, no matter my longing.

I can't help it. As a human, I am somewhat constrained to the material world. I hear, see, and touch on a daily basis, whether I'm fully aware of the acts or not. And I am realizing more every day that the senses mean something -mean a lot. 

So, within this physical world I live in, I can't help but long for Jesus as a human. I cannot wait for the moment when the five senses are no longer constraints on my relationship with God. When I get to touch Jesus' human body myself. When I get to see with my own eyes the face of the One I was created in the image of. When I get to hear the words already hidden in my heart spoken by the One who said them in the first place.

It'll happen one day. One day soon. Until then, I'm glad to know that long-distance relationships don't have to be distant ones. 

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I crave Jesus' physicality too, but at the same time I think distance makes the heart grow fonder (in an obviously totally different kind of way). Reading through the book of Acts and all the commentary right before I left for Greece and Italy really made me desire to live during the time of the early church because I think it would be so cool to share everything in common and live in a tightly-knit community...but then again, do I really want that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And isn't this longing, wishing for the 'more' we were created for, what ADVENT is all about? Come, Lord Jesus!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts