Friday, October 22, 2010

10 Places That Mean Something

Okay, so I've done the whole listing off art/entertainment that means something to me, but I've never written a list of places that mean something to me. Since I do have some experience in this area and love to travel whenever I can, I say it's about time. In no particular order, here's the list.

~ The Lower Camera Reading Room in the Bodleian Library; Oxford, England With over 11 million printed items spread throughout nearly 40 different libraries around the area, I was in book lover heaven when I had access to this place for a month. Studying was no problem, though with so much to explore it was quite overwhelming. Sitting by the decorated windows, taking in the smells and sounds of European knowledge was amazing! Being there with new-found friends made it even better.
~ Road between Focus on the Family and MTI; Colorado Springs, Colorado When I first got to the Springs last summer to intern for a month, I was nervous about driving. By the time it was over, the thing I was going to miss most was my morning drive along the curvy mountain roads of this gorgeous state. With the Weepies to keep me company and the ever-changing sky to amaze me, this place was in my thoughts long after I left it.




~ Schloss Heroldeck; Millstatt, Austria A castle built in the early 1900s complete with a tower and gorgeous view of Lake Millstatt. Fill the place with Slovene teenagers and it's by far the coolest place ever for JV English Camps. And I absolutely adore the sparkling green, blue, and purple shingles on its rooftop.
~ First West Olson at Taylor University; Upland, Indiana The saying is true, First West is best (not that I'm at all biassed)! But honestly, 30-40 college girls sharing life with each other is always cool to see. The late night dance parties, the discussions in the hallway, and the nickname shouting from across the wing all served as a fun reminder to me that life is better when you've got company.
~ Josiah Venture's Main Training Center; Malenovice, Czech Republic I've seen this place and JV go through a lot of changes in the past 13 years, but through it all one thing has stayed exactly the same -time with JV always feels like time with family. And that makes Malenovice a home away from home. From having Jacob's hat party, to watching Miss Congeniality in a closet-sized room, to many games of Star Wars mafia, to worshipping God alongside so many people I love, this place holds great memories.
~ Kidsbooks Bookstore; Vancouver, British Columbia I love visiting my relatives in BC and have to agree with my parents when they say if they could live anywhere in Canada they'd want to live there. Vancouver has everything, including beautiful beaches, mountains, and this specialty shop. It's the best children's bookstore I've ever been to and it keeps that Kathleen Kelly dream of owning my own bookstore someday alive.
~ Clapping Circle at Jefferson Pointe; Fort Wayne, Indiana This secret place, sadly no longer there because of a stupid potted tree, was a favorite spot my Freshman year of college. To me it symbolizes the spontaneity and fun of a lot of firsts in life on my own. If you were there, you understand, and if you have no idea what I'm talking about, you missed out.
~ Schoolhouse; Kakolo Village, Zambia Okay, so I've never actually been here, but I feel like I have been. Going to high school at Wheaton Academy taught me a lot that I'll never forget. Maybe the biggest  lesson I learned though is how the least in life should be a part of my daily life as a Christian. The Zambia Project, raising money for this village, showed me the power of giving, compassion, and a life of love. Learning to live sacrificially for the sake of others less fortunate than ourselves and changing the world because of it is a lesson I hope I always remember. And who knows? Maybe someday I'll get to visit in person.
~ Ho'okipa Beach; Maui, Hawaii In my ideal other life, I would totally be a surfer here. I'd drive a yellow jeep, own 15 different swim suits, and hang out with the local beach bums. Yeah, forget dreams of being a celebrity, I would be completely happy living in the sun, sand, and surf of this place. They don't call it paradise for nothing!
~ My House; Carol Stream, Illinois Not everyone is blessed enough to be able to say, "There's no place like home" and actually mean it. However, I am. Through babysitting quite a bit recently I've gotten to see some other family's homes in the area and I am quite certain that mine should be everyone's favorite. The calming colors of the walls, the comfy couches, and of course my mom's hospitality and my dad's jokes make the place great. If you don't believe me, come visit!

And there you have it! What places are on your list?

3 comments:

  1. Yay for the nods to the Clapping Circle ... and Colorado! Maybe sometime not too far from now, there'll be another "C" on the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    I genuinely love reading everything you write! Some of the places you mentioned I know and love, but you've piqued my curiosity about the others. I love how you express your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd add the Happy Tree in Foster... the Library of Congress... "my spot" next to the wood stove at the Doneys'... the top of Pikes Peak...

    Sometimes I don't think of things in a big picture sort of way. Thanks for being inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts