Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Potential for Greatness


"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." - Les Brown


All around me I see the potential for greatness. Friends and family members surround me with the pleasure of knowing the power of that. I watch as they dream big, work hard, and succeed at giving me hope. They are like rockets just waiting to go off. Aimed for the moon.

Everyday I look around me and see their imperfect attempts at perfection. Yet they surprise me. When I least expect it, another rocket reaches the target. Another person uses his or her gifts in just the right way. A way that makes an uncontrollable smile arrive on my lips and linger there.

I know that they just as easily fail. That being a part of the better story takes time and effort. But there is the potential for greatness. It is inside the people who live their lives next to mine. And it is inside me. The natural desire to do more. To be more. We long for greatness. We crave it, thirst for it. We want to be the underdogs, the Davids and the Rockys, the one-in-a-million men who actually make it to the moon or at least fall among the stars.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts