Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Dear Taylor Student

Dear Taylor Student (you can put your name here),

As I begin my senior year here in the cornfields, I'm prone to reflect back on what I've learned during my college years so far and look forward to the lessons I'll still learn before I leave. Maybe you are like me, with only one year left to take advantage of Taylor's many opportunities. Or you might be a freshman, like my brother, not knowing what God has in store for your next four years or even the next four days. Whether you fall into one of these categories or find yourself somewhere in between, these are the lessons I hope you and I will both learn before we graduate.


I hope you learn that living life together is much better than living life alone. That in spite of the difficulties that come with relationships, they're worth it. God made us for community. I hope you find that while here on campus. That through meals, wing events, small groups, and spontaneous bursts of energy you will see God in others. That you get a lot out of community and give back even more.


I hope you learn more about who you are while at Taylor. That through getting involved in student leadership you learn how to be a leader. That you figure out where you are going and help others to get there with you. I hope you attend chapels and find a local church. That you might base your identity on Christ alone and not on the brand names of our culture or the stereotypes of society. I hope you challenge yourself daily as a Christ follower, student, classmate, and friend.


I hope you learn what's important to you. Prioritizing well when the busyness of life tries to pull you down. That you place value on what God values and that when the time comes to stand up for your beliefs your faith does not waver. I hope you find what you are passionate about and never let it go. That you use your talents and shape your gifts. And that you live it all to the glory of God.


Most of all, I hope you learn that you are loved. That no matter where you go in life after college, you will never be alone. That whatever problems life throws at you, they aren't nearly as big as the One who created you. I hope you know that this life is not the end. That you learn to live with heaven in mind and take time to see God's beauty while still on earth.


I hope you learn all this and more during your time at Taylor.


Love and blessings as you begin another school year,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts